The Ranting Wren The Wren Forum Banner
The Glorious Wren The Movie Wren The Photo Wren Old Man Wren

Okay, it’s been 2 hours and I still can’t get back to sleep. I think it’s the discussion that I overheard at the beach while watching Steve play volleyball on Sunday. It replays over and over in my head. This IS driving me insane. I’m a corporate Attorney, dang it. I SHOULD know the answer to this, of all things. What if I wrongly used it in the past? What if a judge or jury noticed the gaff? Did a client suffer some indignity as their attorney mispoke on their behalf?

At long last, I can rest:

Affluence: That which results from wealth.
Effluence: That which flows or issues from any body or substance; issue; efflux.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

9 Comments

Steve Expounded Thusly:

The Tunnel of Effluence was much in our minds on Sunday, considering Ken walked through it. I believe I started the misuse, enjoying the play of affluence vs. effluence. I am sorry to have cased sleepless distress!

Tuesday, January 18th, 2005 • 12:40pm • Permalink

John Expounded Thusly:

The irony is, much effluence in our society is caused by affluence.

Chew on that one for a bit.

Tuesday, January 18th, 2005 • 1:45pm • Permalink

Steve Expounded Thusly:

I will chew on neither affluence nor effluence, as I hear both cause tooth decay.

Wednesday, January 19th, 2005 • 12:38am • Permalink

Sleepless again. Expounded Thusly:

Res ipsa loquitur.

Wednesday, January 19th, 2005 • 9:17pm • Permalink

Steve Expounded Thusly:

Stop it with the dead languages already! The Latonians are LONG dead! Speak something vibrant and new, like Rapish or Tagalog.

Thursday, January 20th, 2005 • 1:11pm • Permalink

Esq. Expounded Thusly:

It’s well and live in every courtroom of the nation, meaning “the thing speaks for itself” (i.e., no evidence is needed to prove it). My favorite evidenciary rule, however, is “proof of the truth of the facts asserted”. Now if you want me to say THAT in Rapish or Tagolog…

P.S. I’ve dated some very nice Latonians!!

Thursday, January 20th, 2005 • 8:17pm • Permalink

Ken (of the River Effluent) Expounded Thusly:

Okay, okay, okay … way late in weighing in here, but I didn’t even know this site existed until two days ago … and here I find mention of my name! For the record: the standing water through which I sauntered a couple weeks ago (in the so called “Tunnel of Effluence” in Santa Monica) was completely effluent free, I assure you. I ran a complete chemical analysis prior to plunging headlo… errr footlong through it. Had I known the emotional scarring it would have caused for members of the audience (yes, that’s you, Steve), I would have donned the hipwaders. Final analysis, give a volleyball-starved, lazy man a break: it was either wade through a little ankle-deep rain water (and it was rain water) for five seconds, make an illegal-mad-suicide dash across PCH, or take a 10-minute detour through the next ped tunnel. I was hungry for some sand twixt my toes … and–more importantly–saw no sign of effluence. Besides, aside from the gangrene in my left big toe, I feel fine … unless you count the minor flare up of spina bifida.

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005 • 12:24pm • Permalink

The Wren Forum » Cheers! Expounded Thusly:

[…] Well, effluence and nasal discharge aside, the most disgusting thing I’ve had to endure is […]

Tuesday, November 8th, 2005 • 12:14pm • Permalink • This is a Pingback

The Wren Forum » Hold the Pickles, Hold the Lettuce Expounded Thusly:

[…] Beyond that, we also were forced by our head of marketing to go see “The Phantom of the Opera” on Friday, because I had gotten into a public argument with him about the movie. I think it’s a piece of … well … effluence. He thinks its great, and keeps lobbing at me: “Did I tell you what George thought of it?” Yes, Jim, you did — a dozen times. That does not make me like it anymore. […]

Tuesday, November 8th, 2005 • 12:16pm • Permalink • This is a Pingback

Sorry, I ain't takin' no comments on this page. Deal, y'hear?