The Ranting Wren The Wren Forum Banner
The Glorious Wren The Movie Wren The Photo Wren Old Man Wren

I am catching up on Lost‘s first season, on DVD, of course. The episodes are falling in front of me like Oreos at a BBQ. Just now—and I’ve even paused the DVD to post this—I caught a friggin’ brilliant pop-cultural reference that I wonder how many others discovered. Don’t worry… no spoilers, in case you haven’t seen the show yet.

In the current episode (“Homecoming”), it’s Charlie’s turn for more flashbacks. He’s made his way home from a pub with a woman, gone back to her place. He asks her, “So where is the old man?” From off screen, kitchen-bound, she answers, “I don’t know. I think he’s buying some old paper company up in Slough.”

The prize to the first person to post the “answer” to this reference is one of those new nickels with Thomas Jefferson’s profile.

One of the first episodes had a clever reference, too, but I can’t recall it now, so I’ll post it later. Now, back to the show I go…

10 Comments

John Expounded Thusly:

That’s way too easy, David Brent.

I was fortunate enough to see each Lost episode in “real time,” and am looking forward to tonight’s season opener.

TV on DVD is scary. You can really get sucked in. Jeff started watching Alias on DVD and one particular day he watched an entire disc (nine episodes) in one sitting. He’s on season 2. Be glad you only have one Lost season on which to catch up. (On which up to catch?)

Wednesday, September 21st, 2005 • 7:33pm • Permalink

Steve Expounded Thusly:

The nickel is on its way! THough don’t be surprised if it’s nicked by the UPS man.

I actually toyed with taping Lost this season and watching it with the rest of the world, but oh my, the show looks SO FINE in 16×9 and 5.1 surround! And zero ads to FF through and all that. The picture is wonderful. And I can watch 8 in one sitting. (Yes, I did that this past weekend.)

Anyway, unless HD takes off (which, by the looks of it, it won’t because the stupid networks are choosing to multicast instead, which means low-grade, over-compressed HD at the very best), I think I’m done with TV. I really do. That could all change, of course… say, if I got Tivo. But then my Tivo would compress the already compressed DirecTV picture and it’d look even worse… Yes, I’m a quality whore!

Thursday, September 22nd, 2005 • 10:33am • Permalink

JJS Expounded Thusly:

Yeah, the TiVo picture can pretty much suck. But, you know what? With THAT kind of convenience, it’s OK. I really don’t need to see Fran Drescher’s pores.

Thursday, September 22nd, 2005 • 8:52pm • Permalink

Steve Expounded Thusly:

Fran Drescher has pores?

Friday, September 23rd, 2005 • 10:22am • Permalink

Xena, the HD Princess. Expounded Thusly:

Xena knows that Charter is among the evil masses that make up the media purvayors, but watching the 720p HD broadcast of Lost from ABCHD is quite an aphrodisiac for her. For only $10 a month, she can also record to her HD DVR. She’s very happy. Almost all new shows look brilliant.

Friday, September 23rd, 2005 • 11:20am • Permalink

John Expounded Thusly:

Xena, even “Dancing With the Stars: Dance-Off” looks brilliant?

Steve, I still have not received the nickel. And now I’m pissed off.

Sunday, September 25th, 2005 • 3:58pm • Permalink

Steve Expounded Thusly:

Call UPS. The tracking number is TV65XH787625THAQQ8716409837618732JKL45RFVT4T6Y3D9N7Y2TSNBX4544FF7982F8OIZ91682BU

Monday, September 26th, 2005 • 2:06pm • Permalink

Xena, the UPS Delivery Princess Expounded Thusly:

Anybody getting sick with the name yet?

I must admit that I knew your package was a shiny nickle and took it for my own. 🙁

Surprisingly, those fantastic and ever-creative reality shows are almost exclusively filmed in low-budge-def. They almost seem to be cheap camcorder deals. But primetime shows like Boston Legal, CSI, and War at Home (which sucks) look lovely.

Monday, September 26th, 2005 • 4:59pm • Permalink

John Expounded Thusly:

Wow, I had no idea Steve’s package was a shiny nickel. That seems a little small. Steve? Care to comment?

Monday, September 26th, 2005 • 5:34pm • Permalink

Steve Expounded Thusly:

I do NOT care to comment simply because…

Oops. Too late.

Tuesday, September 27th, 2005 • 10:27pm • Permalink

Sorry, I ain't takin' no comments on this page. Deal, y'hear?